Repairs are needed in my Craven District Council Home

Living in a Craven District Council owned property means that you have the right to expect your landlord to ensure that you are living in a structurally safe and secure home. In some cases, you might need repairs carrying out on the property and the council should do these as soon as possible. Repairs that are the responsibility of Craven District Council include but are not limited to the following:

  • A breakdown in the supply of electricity to the property
  • Functioning plumbing and sanitation
  • A lack of hot water supply

When you spot a repair, it is important that you alert Craven District Council immediately to prevent a repair from getting worse.

How do I inform Craven District Council about issues in the property?

If you have come across issues in your council owned property, you must report them to the council. You can do this by calling 01756 700600 and stating what needs repairing, as well as your full name and the address of the property. Alternatively, you can email Craven District Council on . In the case of an emergency (repairs that pose an immediate threat to your health or safety are classed as urgent) you can contact Craven District Council by phone on 01653 699 392.

Craven District Council have not repaired my home. What do I do?

If a reasonable amount of time has passed and Craven District Council haven’t carried out the necessary repairs to the property, or have carried out repairs to an unsatisfactory standard, then you may be eligible to make a claim against them. If your claim is successful, then not only will the  council be ordered to carry out the relevant repairs immediately but you might also receive some compensation. To find out what you are entitled to and what actions you can take next, call CEL Solicitors today on 0808 273 0900 or email