Reporting a repair to Corby Borough Council

If you are residing in a property that is owned by Corby Borough Council and have repairs that need to be carried out, then you should inform the council as soon as possible, to prevent the disrepair getting worse, resulting in even more work that will need doing in the future. When you live in a council owned property, it is the responsibility of the landlord to ensure that it is a safe place to live with all basic repairs carried out as soon as possible. Any property that is in need of repairs could potentially be a health and safety hazard for you and your family and so it is important that it is looked into. Things that will need repairing immediately to ensure that your home is a safe place to live include:

  • Ensuring the house is structurally sound
  • Ensuring that all stairs are safe and even, with fixed handrails
  • Ensuring that the property has access to running hot water and a safe supply of electricity

Legally, a landlord has certain obligations to you as a tenant to ensure that you have a safe place to live.

There are urgent repairs needed in my home, how do I inform Corby Borough council?

A repair request should be reported straight away to prevent any outstanding repairs from worsening. To report a repair to Corby Borough Council, you can call them on 01536 464646 – this number can be used to report a repair that has just come to your attention and it can also be used to check the progress of a repair previously reported. Corby Borough council also have an online repair reporting service that you can use to identify and order repairs quickly and easily and then print a confirmation, so that you have everything down in writing. The online repair service also allows you to report a repair at any time of day and night, rather than just during normal office hours. Details that you will need to include in your repair request are your name, the address and postcode, where the repair is required and an email address to allow Corby Borough Council to contact you easily. Repairs can be reported online at

My repairs by Corby Council aren’t up to standard, what should I do?

A tenant reporting a repair should leave a ‘reasonable’ amount of time for the council to assess and fix the problem, but if you find they have carried out a repair that is not up to standard, the problem has come back after the repair had taken place or the council haven’t been out at all to deal with the repair, then you may be eligible to make a claim. As a tenant, it is your responsibility to ensure that the property in which you are living is kept to a clean and tidy standard but if you feel that Corby Council have failed you when it comes to safeguarding and repairing your home for issues that are their responsibility, you can get in touch with CEL Solicitors to see if you are eligible for a compensation claim. Please call us today on 0808 273 0900 or email