Social Housing Claims

Social housing repairs can often be overlooked by landlords, but, if you are living in a property that is overseen by the Housing Association there is a legal duty for them to act on any issues or concerns of yours, along with carrying out any necessary maintenance on the property.

If the house that you are renting is falling into disrepair, it can not only be unsightly and inconvenient, but it can also negatively affect yours and your family’s health and wellbeing. Rising damp, for example, can be particularly dangerous for young children and adults suffering from respiratory conditions.

If your landlord has failed to rectify any social housing complaints you have placed, social housing solicitors may be able to claim against them on your behalf.

Social Tenants Rights

The contract signed between you and your landlord, when moving into social housing, is an agreement that the property will be kept up to the required standard of living by both parties involved.

These standards will include, but are not limited to:

  • A well-maintained and structurally sound building in the eyes of
    the law
  • Sufficient access to heating and hot water
  • Blockage-free gutters and working sanitation, (which includes toilets, drains, baths and basins.)
  • A damp-free and mould-free home
  • Access to electricity and gas
  • Pest control.

If, for example, the social housing property you are renting has no available hot water or you deem it an unsafe place to live, it is important to take action before yours or your family’s wellbeing is compromised.

If you live in a housing association or council-owned property, click here to find out more about how your specific landlords respond to repair requests or disrepair complaints.

Social Housing Solicitors

At CEL Solicitors, we are more than equipped to deal with social housing complaints and believe that everyone has the right to live in a well-maintained and, more importantly, safe property.

As a tenant, we understand that you may feel vulnerable when it comes to claiming against your landlord, but our trained team of solicitors can guide you through the process and help you claim the compensation you deserve. For a free initial assessment of your claim contact us today on 0808 281 2660 or 0203 893 2499; or email