What Types of Housing Disrepair Damages Can I Claim For?

Housing disrepair can take many forms. It basically refers to any maintenance or repair issues which should (by law) be carried out by your landlord, but are not, resulting in your home becoming unsafe or the accommodation inadequate. If, after you have reported the issue(s), your landlord does not repair or resolve the issue for a sustained period, you may be eligible to make a claim for housing disrepair compensation.

Landlord Repair Responsibilities

Your landlord, whether it’s a housing association, council or privately rented home, is obliged by law to ensure that your house:

  • Is structurally safe
  • Has access to a working and safe electricity, gas and water supply
  • Has working drains, guttering and sanitation fixtures
    (e.g. toilet, sinks, baths, showers)
  • Is free from vermin and structurally-related damp.

A tenant’s right to repairs is subject to law, which means that if a landlord refuses to fulfil their responsibilities, the tenant may be able to take legal action against them.

Landlord Repairs in Reasonable Time

Your landlord, whether it’s a housing association or the council, doesn’t have a specific deadline in which to make repairs or carry out work on the house. However, they must complete these works within a ‘reasonable’ amount of time. The time that could be considered ‘reasonable’ will vary, depending on the severity of the issue or repair that needs rectifying. If you reported the problem to your landlord some time ago and no attempts have been made to carry out the work needed, it’s possible that you might be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim.

Some of the most common types of disrepair include:

  • Rising damp, leading to mould
  • Penetrating damp, leading to mould
  • Non-functioning or unsafe heating system or boiler
  • Unsafe flooring or staircases
  • Rotten doors or window frames
  • Leaking pipes or cracked sanitation equipment
  • Faulty electrics.

For a free housing disrepair claim assessment or to discuss your options, contact us on 0808 273 0900 or 0203 925 4551; or email info@celsolicitors.co.uk.