What is a flooding claim and who can make one?

CEL Solicitors is representing homeowners affected by flooding, which they attribute to a new build housing development close to their homes. Residents who experience flooding could make a claim for compensation if the problem only occurred after nearby land was developed.

Flooding Claims

What problems do flooding claimants typically encounter?

In times of heavy rainfall, surface flooding can occur if drainage systems become overloaded. This causes the water to flow over ground, as opposed to underground, resulting in affected areas becoming water-logged. In these cases, residents have reported water pooling in their gardens, damaging any landscaping and preventing their enjoyment of this space.

Why do new build developments often cause flooding to nearby land?

Inadequate drainage:
Issues relating to new build housing developments occur when a developer doesn’t invest in effective and sustainable drainage systems for the new site. In some cases, a developer will simply connect the new housing onto existing systems, which can cause them to become overloaded and result in flooding.

Water displacement:
Another issue surrounding new build developments concerns water displacement. The development of land, which would previously have absorbed water, can mean the water is directed elsewhere. In these cases, people who’ve never experienced flooding before might suddenly find their land completely waterlogged.

Do I have to pay upfront to make a flooding claim?

No. We offer free, initial advice. Then, if you would like to make a claim, you still don’t have to pay anything upfront. We work on a no win, no fee basis. If successful, we will deduct a 25% success fee from any compensation awarded.

I’m thinking of making a flooding claim. What information do you require?

To assess your claim, we need to understand the flooding issue to ascertain the likely cause. Helpful information includes:

• The length of time you’ve lived at the affected property.
• When you first experienced flooding.
• How this relates to the development e.g. flooding started during or after the build.
• Information on the development e.g. the developer, the site, and your proximity to it.
• Evidence of the flooding (images and / or videos).
• Your name, address, and contact details.

Get in touch with CEL Solicitors to start your flooding claim.

To find out if you have a flooding claim you can email the above information to info@celsolicitors.co.uk. Alternatively, if you would like to speak to one of our friendly and experienced advisors, you can call a member of our team on 0808 273 0900.

Skip to content